Teemo Build Guide
Teemo advanced player guidewritten by AnjouShin
Late Game / Luxury Items
x 3#2 Buy
- Blinding Dart
- Move Quick
- Toxic Shot
- Noxious Trap
Runes for Teemo
Masteries for Teemo
Table of Contents
|Pros / Cons||4|
|Runes and Masteries||5|
|Role rotation principle||10|
|Item and Build analysis||11|
|Hybrid, DPS, on-hit builds overview||12|
|The Lane Matchups||13|
|Dual Lane tactics||14|
|Farming and Jungleing||15|
|Working in the team||16|
IntroductionThe guide is up to date as of 2012-1-10.
I am AnjouShin. I play Teemo since late open beta and I have accumulated over 800 games with him by now.
I have yet to grow tired of playing him.
Please believe me that I know what I am talking about when I suggest something.
Solo-Queue also proves to be hard at times so I recommend you play with at least one friend.
Once you master him you know why AP Teemo is the way Teemo has to be played.
You can find alternative builds (including the one Rainman uses) in a seperate section.
Check the video section if you want to see some of Teemos unique skills.
Have fun while trying my Teemo and never underestimate the power of the scout's code.
(the Goblin Techies will be proud of you)
here are some pictures of me
Camouflage This is a nice passive and helps you to hide from enemies or to initiate fights sometimes.
It is by far not as useful as real stealth champion's since you can be knocked out of stealth by many things like knock-ups or blitz' pull.
It can help you defending turrets by going stealth and opening an assault with blind dart and 2 toxic shots.
Don't rely on it and think of it as little more than an extra.
Blinding Dart This is your main damage nuke and a very good counter to DPS carries with the blind and the good scaling.
Its also your main means of triggering your Lich Bane late game.
It resets your autoattack timer which means that you can hit the enemy 3 times within a very short time span.
(you can see it in the video on different occasions and its especially helpful in the dfg, dart, toxic shot/lich bane combo)
Move Quick A very helpful skill that makes you stay alive and chase people with unmatched speed while being a passive. With basic boots you are almost as fast as a melee champion with improved boots. With improved boots you can outrun someone with improved boots and ghost. The active component adds some survivability and should not be underestimated.
Your tertiary means of triggering your Lich Bane late game. (mainly during chases, use Move quick for what it was intended)
Toxic Shot Early game this skill is used to make last hitting easier and to harass the enemy. It makes towerdiving hard and should not be applied when you want to suppress someone and get a few shots at the tower. Early-mid game it increases your DPS, especially in combination with [item_text=Malady]. Beware of Teemo's 500 unit range (same as Morgana's) which is the same range as the hard Direct Damage stuns and snares like Rune Prison or Cryptic Gaze Noxious Trap Some people say this is the skill that makes AP Teemo viable. While it is a great mine that deals a lot of damage it still can be countered and you cannot use it teamfights like an instant damage nuke like so many others can because you have to get very close for that. Without the mushrooms Teemo is still 70-80% combat effective.
Do not use mushrooms to farm minions except late game when you have to farm one huge creep wave.
Your secondary means of triggering your Lich Bane late game.
If you are impatient with the attention span of a fly or your game is about to start this is what you are looking for.
9 x magic pen
9 x HP/lvl
9 x MR/lvl
3 x flat AP or 3 x magic pen
21/0/9 with Exhaust and Flash
[item_icon=kage's lucky pick]Possible choice here:[item_icon=Malady](earlier if needed) From here on situational order:
Abilities at lvl 6:
1-2x, 1x, 2-3x, 1x
9 x magic pen
9 x armor/lvl or 9 x health/lvl
9 x MR/lvl or 9 x CDR/lvl
3 x Magic pen
9/0/21 with Exhaust and Ghost
Abilities at lvl 4:
1x, 1x, 2x
Pros / Cons
+ easy to last hit during lane phase
+ very fast movement speed (highest average movement speed in the game)
+ good scout
+ good nukes
+ long blind (the only reliable blind in the game)
+ free reconnaissance mines
+ high resistance to junglers
+ easy last hitting minions in early game
+ high DPS mid game
+ high nuke potential late game
+ changes roles during the game according to the requirements of the game phases
+ great against most champions mid lane
+ great counterpick in top lane
- low HP early and early-mid game
- oracles elixir can counter him to a certain degree
- the games might take a very long time (sometimes over 60 minutes) because the enemy is too afraid to go somewhere
--> long sieges possible at the enemy inhibitor turrets
- you get focused a lot
- you cannot initiate well unless they hit a mushroom or you can pick off stragglers
- every time you see a fail Teemo in your team you want to cry
Runes and Masteries
There is no special trick or awesomeness in the runes and masteries you need.
Greater Mark of Insight x 9 (magic pen) or Greater Mark of Alacrity
Greater Seal of Vitality x 9 (hp/lvl)
Greater Glyph of Shielding x 9 (MR/lvl)
Greater Quintessence of Potency x 3 (flat AP) or Greater Quintessence of Insight x 3 (magic pen)
magic pen vs ap is a matter of personal choice here. basically you trade mid-game dps for early game damage when you exchange magic pen quints for ap quints. it helps you fight people like Malzahar or Brand very effectively lvl 1-5.
Greater Mark of Insight 9 x magic pen
Greater Seal of Defense 9 x armor/lvl or 9 x health/lvl
Greater Glyph of Shielding 9 x MR/lvl or 9 x CDR/lvl
Greater Quintessence of Insight 3 x Magic pen
a basic 21/0/9 mastery tree for Summoners Rift and Crystal Scar
My advice for Teemo's Summoner Abilities is:
Exhaust and Flash and Ghost for Crystal Scar
"Wait? Exhaust? Why? He has a blind already! Why would you need a damage reducing spell as well?"
Exhaust is one of the most versatile Summoner spell in the game. It reduces the enemy damage and slows for 2.5 seconds.
If you go for [mastery_text=summoner's wrath] it lowers the armor and magic resist by 10. (see also: Runes and Masteries).
It can be used to reduce caster damage as well (Karthus, Nunu, towerdiving Vlads you get the idea)
Flash is a pretty straightforward skill. It helps you to get away from our enemies as well as being a great repositioning tool during fights whatever their scale is. Should you get chased down you can Flash and Move Quick
out of most situations. They can't stun you when you are out of range =)
if you hate flash (or its being removed) you can go for
keep in mind that the Move Quick active is a little ghost for 4 seconds that should provide more survivability in combination with flash then ghost with the active.
Don't use ghost and move quick at the same time but move quick first and then ghost. Otherwise you will get only 50% for both abilities due to a 50% reduction after hitting a certain movespeed value. If you use move quick first there is a good chance you can save your ghost or if you need ghost still you have ghost 4s longer than your enemy.
another possible setup:
You will miss the damage reduction of 35% against casters (which is mainly why you are going for it) but with Cleanse being able to get rid of exhaust it is a viable combat buff to outdamage your enemies over a longer period of time than only 2.5 s. high nukes will be a problem but most of them (e.g. [spell_text=summon tibbers], Nether Grasp, Sigil of Silence) will outrange exhaust anyway and act as an initiator.
This setup needs further testing!
I do not advise going for:
You have a DOT with your autoattack that hits harder, the heal reduction is missed at times (especially against some corporation employees and several barbarian kings) but there is always someone with ignite on your team to do the job.
Know when to engage and how to kill and you will never need ignite to finish somebody off.
"Get ignite for first blood!"
Congratulations, you just gimped you for the entire game so you MIGHT get 100 gold extra.
you move around the map fast enough with move quick. Teleport to mushrooms is overrated the cooldown is too long and it brings no utility or damage for teamfights. The benefits is brings are easily canceled out by the damage you deal to your own teamfight capabilities.
with the runes and masteries you should have close to no mana problems. It is also a waste of a summoner spell after level 9 (or after you got your P-Stone see items).
good spell on certain characters but a bad choice on Teemo. Your mushrooms should provide enough vision to reveal incoming ganks. If they simply evade every single mushroom's LOS (line of sight) you are better of with a damage reduction/slow or a repositioning tool than a vision spell. Its better suited for support champions than on AP scout assassins.
If the side lanes don't buy wards for only 37.5g per player it is not your fault should they overextend and be ganked.
If you see they have a jungler/mia and your lanes are overextended tell them something like: "care top ww!" or "mid going top" etc.
the other summoner spells should not even be considered.
The skilling order greatly depends on who you face.
Fighting a mage or a high HP/high regen tank (cho'gath, mundo, garen, mordekaiser) go for Toxic Shot as your level 1 ability. (also if you go for a 2v1 or 2v2 lane)
When fighting a DPS (or any sort of enemy Teemo) you need Blinding Dart as your first ability. This way you have a good nuke with a blind that might save you live should you fail and overextend too early.
Upgrade both abilities roughly to the same degree. even if you don't need to blind veigar mid you can still be ganked so get a few points in your dart. If you level up blinding dart too fast you will run out of mana.
At level 3 (especially if you don't have boots at lvl 1), 4 or 5 (only if you don't have to dodge and the enemy has no roamer/jungler) you get one point in Move Quick and upgrade it further after level 13 (once blind dart and toxic shot are at lvl 5)
your level 6 should look like this (except for very few exceptions):
2x Blinding Dart
1x Move Quick
2x Toxic Shot
1x Noxious Trap
The right build is, as usual, the key to success or defeat.
Regrowth Pendant and one Health Potion or Boots of Speed and 3x Health Potion
are your first items. They make you stay in lane for a very long time. (sometimes up to 15 minutes and about 2500 gold).
next items are (in that order usually)
Boots of Speed
[item=kage's lucky pick]
Optional:[item=Malady] starting with Dagger
Rod of Ages starting with Ruby Crystal
From here the order is variable:
Rabadon's Deathcap starting with Needlessly Large Rod
sell Philosopher's Stone*
sell [item=malady] if you have it
(see also role rotation principle)
*you can sell the Philosopher's Stone straight if you want but you can turn it into an [item_text=Eleisa's Miracle] and then sell it immediately to get an additional 10g which can help if you are waiting for a tiny bit of gold to buy the Needlessly Large Rod (thx to Magix for pointing that out).
the most effective build i have found so far is this:
NOTE: the items are quite interchangeable on Crystal Scar so you might want to get an early Lich Bane if your movement speed is too low or you need the extra nuke, an early Hextech Sweeper against a stealth heavy team or an early Rabadon's Deathcap if you cannot get very close.
Prospector's Ring and Boots of Speed when going for the Windmill
Blasting Wand and Amplifying Tome when going for the Refinery/Drill
Needlessly Large Rod
Hextech Sweeper(cause of your poison and mushrooms increase the vision on it even more up to 9 seconds)
Tanky Dps on-hit hybrid
Boots of Speed
this build works but Teemo's autoattack range is just too low to be very effective
Catalyst the Protector
Rod of Ages
Sorcerer's Shoes, Mercury's Treads or Ionian Boots of Lucidity
Rylai's Crystal Scepter or Frozen Mallet
not necessarily the best build on TT. try rainmans on-hit/dps hybrid build for TT if you have problems with the suggested build. The build is open for discussion of course =)
The Video showing some Unique Skills of Teemo with this build
if the embedded vid isnt working try this link.
here is a full game with my build divided into 2 parts (I have to admit that there is some weak last hitting early).
Role rotation principle
Unlike other champions Teemo does not follow the same role during the game but follows different roles according to the requirements of the different phases of the game. A Tank tanks and provides CC, a bruiser provides soft taunt, a DPS attacks everything as long as possible etc.
With the build described above you go through several roles suited for the characteristics of each phase.
the game starts.
- lane staying
- holding your lane
- securing your lane
- helping to gank enemy junglers
--> farming teemo
you buy Boots of Speed and a Health Potion as your first items.
the game continues until you have 875-1650 gold. (7-13 minutes without kills).
recall and buy
[item=kage's lucky pick]
early-mid game starts.
- quick ganks
- short teamfights with 3-5 players
- defending or killing dragon
- pushing towers over a longer period of time
- securing mid
--> ganking teemo
run back to the front. place more shrooms and start to gank people if necessary and/or possible.
after you buy your [item_text=rof of ages]
late mid-game starts
- short teamfights with 4-7 players
- defending or killing dragon
- pushing towers over a shorter period of time
- securing lanes if needed
- creep wave management becomes important
--> fighter Teemo
now you are pretty much an allrounder but not too great at anything. good you brought
Rush your . (about 20 minutes if you killed stuff and farmed well). Malady enables you to push towers effectively.
early late-game starts.
- teamfights with 6-10 players
- MR and armor on tanks start to get over 175
- creep wave management becomes very important
- securing Baron Nashor
- warding and shrooming the enemy jungle becomes incredibly dangerous
--> fighting DPS Teemo
You have 4 choices now: Rabadon's Deathcap(more raw damage - For the extra kick while not getting focused hard),
Deathfire Grasp (good nuke and CDR - for high HP enemies that lack MR and for teamfights where you are not focused too much)
Void Staff (MR Heavy enemies)
or Lich Bane(Heavy Nuke on MR enemies, movement speed, tower pushing, Magic resist - for getting focused)
You start to deal massive damage, Teemo Taunt (see video section) starts to be effective.
Rabadon's Deathcap should be the 2nd of the 4 Items and should come as you play. Mushrooms start to hurt a lot.
you continue with your one of your most deadly weapons:
late late-game starts.
- Teamfights with 8-10 players
- violent tower pushes
- you get focused hard
- securing Baron Nashor
- longer teamfights
- dps carries start to shine
--> nuke and dps mage Teemo
Your damage shifted massively from on-hit + base-AD to almost pure magic damage (the base damage is reduced by base armor of your enemies).
Blind dart and toxic shot deal a LOT of damage.
The Lich Bane and Void Staff comes as you play.
- heavy focus
- killing Baron Nashor
- violent long teamfights
- sieges at turrets and inhibitors
--> heavy nuke Teemo
(one of my enemies called me Drive-by-Teemo once which sums it up pretty well actually)
Change your Sorcerer's Shoes for Mercury's Treads after.
Quadruple-Potion and "I have 3k gold extra... why didn't we win already?" phase starts
Item and Build analysis
Okay here are some items analyzed on how to use them and why you want them. Some items might be considered unfitting or simply bad items. Also the question on about CDR on Teemo and its uses is answered here (Nashor's Tooth).
Are you mad? Why no Ruby Crystal... you have no HP!?! Why no [item_text=Meki Pendant]? Why no Doran's Ring?
The Regrowth Pendant gives you 15HP/5s which is 3 HP/s.
A Ruby Crystal gives you 180HP.
That means with a Regrowth pendant you regenerate one ruby crystal every 60 seconds.
The regrowth pendant also enables you go buy a health potion which gives you 200 HP should you be low.
The Philosophers Stone provides even more HP regen (18hp/5s) with enough manaregen (5m/5s) to use blind dart and mushrooms as often as you need.
It costs 800g with a 400g sell value + 0,5g/s. So you can sell it after 13 minutes 20 seconds and are at +-0g.
(0.5g/1s * 800s = 400g ; 800s = 13,3333 minutes)
I suggest you recall at about 13 minutes and buy it. I also state in the game example that you can buy your Rod of Ages at about 18-22 minutes.(13min + 13,33 minutes = 26,3333 minutes) I also advise you sell your Philosophers Stone once you have to maybe at: Rabadon's Deathcap.
After the Rod of Ages you should get your Deathfire Grasp and Rabadon's Deathcap after that.
All that combined leads to the point where you sell your Philosophers Stone long after the 13m.20s which means:
theoretically free item + some extra gold + very good early lane staying power. You can outheal harassment but you are vulnerable to burst damage. I usually end up with about 800-1000 gold on Philosophers stone and about 500-700 on Lucky Pick
You do not need the [item_text=Meki pendant] since you have enough manaregen with your runes and masteries.
You do not need a Doran's Ring. The Ring is an extremely strong item but it comes at a high price. You cannot buy an HP potion and have to leave mid too early which gives your enemy almost an entire level should you be able to buy boots and have one point in move quick. If you dont manage to buy boots you are more than one level apart. I have sent many Doran's Ring Teemos home too early so that I could reach lvl 6 before them thus gaining complete control over mid. Sure the 15 AP/100Hp are insanely good but in the long run you will lose.
Deathfire Grasp and [item=Malady]
Do you use 4 shots with [item_text=malady] before you use your Deathfire Grasp or do you use the Deathfire straight without the MR reduction?
I do not apply 4 hits before I use my deathfire for the following reason:
(this are just rough values bent in favor of the 4 hits then deathfire tactic).
Let us assume a Cho'gath 3000 HP and 20% MR (should be about 30 inbuild MR + a small MR item like Mercury's Treads - all your magic pen from boots and runes)
deathfire deals 35% HP in magic damage with some AP. 4 shots of Malady get him down to 80-85% (lets assume its 85%) and reduce his MR down to 10-15% (assume 10%)
4x Shots then deathfire:
0.85 * 3000 * 0.35 * ( 1 - 0.1 ) = 803.25 damage in about 2 seconds
straight deathfire without hits:
1 * 3000 * 0.35 * ( 1 - 0.20) = 840 damage in less than 0,5 seconds
The damage is the about same but the time you need to do it is significantly shorter.
this is the case when chogath is very low on MR and the magic reduction causes the biggest difference in damage possible.
should chogath have more MR an instant deathfire with 4 darts following deals even more damage than 4 darts and then deathfire (imgaine he had 500 MR, reducing it by 24 does not make much of a difference)
As you can see even if I calculate in favor of the "4x Malady, deathfire after that"-tactic the direct deathfire wins.
Also you should keep in mind that you are not the only one attacking him which means the enemy is getting lower the longer the fight lasts without adding further magic resist reduction.
When you face enemies with shields (passive and active) the 4 hits with Malady then Deathfire works the best. (since you do not reduce their HP by hitting them, or reducing their HP by a very small percentage like 5%)
Mordekaiser, Malphite, Morgana (she will only take your autoattack damage), Janna, Lux, Sion, Pantheon (only 1 shot though), Shen
Once the shield breaks hit them with Deathfire immediately even if not all 4 stacks of MR-reduction are applied.
Deathfire Grasp Who to use it on?
The first and most important target always should be the one most vital to the enemy success be it Tank, DPS carry or Caster. The only rule that should interest you is:
"He/She needs to be low on magic resistance and higher than 50% HP while the fight is still going".
Most dps carries stack damage and/or attackspeed items of some sort while being fragile or at least low on magic resist.
Should they go for MR and HP they lost the ability to deal large amounts of damage with their autoattacks thus making them not the most important target.
Some mages in the game can support the enemy in a way where it might become impossible to simply kill an enemy team in a 5v5 situation. This can range from stuns over heals to revives. Again stacking magic resist and health might prove difficult for these characters. Be aware that certain items like Lich Bane and Abyssal Scepter provide at least some magic resist (best example: Fiddle stacking MR by buying mage items).
With tanks there is a problem when they get hit by very strong nukes. Usually DPS values matter the most for a tanks ability to tank. A good tank knows roughly how long he can tank certain things like an ashe hitting him continuously or how much damage a ryze combo can do to him, how many tower hits he can take before he has to back off etc. When you use your deathfire on a tank it can lead to the tank being disturbed in a very drastic manner since he loses a large amount of health even if he has 150 MR (that is the upper limit for tanks MR though, above that and you can only use your deathfire on him if hes the last man standing or the only enemy around). This results in the enemy tank backing off/dying earlier than expected turning the fight in your favor.
Against some very tank damage champions like AP Cho or Vlad it Helps exceptionally well due to their tendency to favor AP/HP tank items rather than hard magic resist items.
Rylai's Crystal Scepter vs. Rod of Ages
Which one is better?
Rod of Ages
for the following reasons:
- both items cost almost the same
- ROA gives more Mana, HP and the same AP
- ROA regenerates HP and Mana on levelup
- Catalyst builds into ROA and gives the regen, HP, and mana bonus before the item is complete
- the slow only really works on your blind dart
--> according to Ethedor it stacks with your mushrooms but don't forget that a slow hits a slow reduction after reaching a certain threshold of slow total
here is what he wrote:
Edit: just checked with and without rylai slow on mushrooms on twisted treelines red buff monster
the stats were the following:
without rylai after slowing by mah shroom
lvl 1 shroom=231 movespeed
lvl 2 shroom=209
lvl 3 shroom=193
lvl 1 shroom=219
lvl 2 shroom=204
lvl 3 shroom=188
as you can see its not worth it getting a Rylais for slow on your mushrooms, especially late game. the slow is just not enough. (not to mention...decreased by 66% since its an AOE slow)
that leads to: Rylai's only on Twisted treeline after you got your rod of ages. Rylai's is no substitute for ROA on any occasion and not worth it on Summoners Rift.
Nashor's Tooth and CDR
Why no Nashors? You need no CDR? You need no attackspeed? Are you a noob?
Many people go Nashors for the CDR and the attackspeed, with DFG you are at 19% CDR (I do not assume everyone will get 20 stacks every game... a simple blue buff/blue potion works as well). With a malady(if you get it which is rare) you reduce MR and deal extra magic dmg on hit.
Do not go nashors. never, ever.
"But mushrooms need CDR!"
I agree but focusing your entire build around an ability that can be countered by Oracles Elixir, Magic sight Wards or Banshees Veil is not the best idea.
Many people "play the shroom" on Teemo and focus on planting as many mushrooms as possible. The problem with this is that they lack the ability to participate in teamfights or win 1v1 situations. Even if my build does not include huge CDR items it enables you to be a part of the team and not just the reason everyone in your team hates AP Teemos.
You can still plant a LOT of mushrooms with this build with your Deathfire Grasp and your 9% masteries alone.
Another thing is that Nashor's Tooth is more of a mid-late game item while [item_text=Malady] is a straight mid game item which also works late game. Narshos might be a bit too expensive to simply sell it once you cannot autoattack anymore. Keeping it for the pure CDR is a bad choice then. If you sell it for a different item you suddenly lack the CDR which is needed for "Shroom-Teemo". With [item_text=Malady] and Deathfire Grasp its different. Sell your Malady if necessary and keep the nice CDR from Deathfire along with a very strong nuke. Get a Lich bane and suddenly you can also nuke for a lot of physical damage that also applies a very strong poison (over 100 damage per tick even with one MR item).
WHY YOU NO LONGER USE SOULSTEALER?
Because you need the early HP from ROA and the damage and CDR from Deathfire and Deathcap. There simply is no room for a 1235g item that needs to stack. Apart from that it hurts your Teemo taunt if you actually get caught while carrying your team.
Why not? Spellvamp, slow, AD, AP, lifesteal?
Apart from the fact that its a nice nuke and has a slow and spellvamp it is still a hybrid item. Sacrificing an item just to add some extra physical damage on your autoattack is not necessary. The slow is nice but you don't need it (you are the quickest champ after all).
I never really needed spellvamp/lifesteal on Teemo (especially since toxic shot does not make use of it). Should you get hit too hard to continue, recall and speed back to the front. If you don't get hit hard you have enough HP.
When low on HP I suggest running and not fighting. To go back into a fight when low on HP you need a lot of practice and you really need to know your limits very well.
Should you need to sell your [item_text=malady] it also reduces the effectiveness of your Hextech Gunblade and your Toxic shot in general. It also makes you worse in teamfights since you trade the ability to combat for a nuke and some spellvamp.
Replace the Lich Bane with the Hextech Gunblade and you have a different problem.
Lich bane deals your AP as physical damage after using an ability. At the point where you have your Lich Bane you should have a LOT of AP (Rabadon's Deathcap, Rod of Ages almost fully stacked, Lich Bane and Deathfire Grasp give you about 500 AP, without the Mejai's Soulstealer). These 500 physical damage can be applied by Blinding Dart or Noxious Trap and one autoattack.
300 magic damage nuke every 60 seconds and 60 physical damage on hit (without malady less than 1.2 attacks/second) equal 432 physical damage damage over 6 seconds if you manage to hit the enemy continuously.
that leads to (MD = magic dmg, PD = physical dmg)
(300MD / 60s + 60 PD * 1,2 / s) * 6s = 30MD + 432PD = 462 damage
that means you can deal an average of 462 damage in a fight that takes 6 seconds.
This is a highly theoretical value because the attackspeed is lower than that, you have to cast your blind dart and mushrooms and you have to move during the fight.
at least 500 physical damage with only ONE hit every 4-6 seconds. Let us assume 6 seconds.
that means you deal more than 500 damage with only one hit during a 6 second fight as opposed to the 7.2 hits you need with the Hextech Gunblade.
"But you said you play him as a Nuke Teemo and now you calculate with damage per second values!"
Yes that is true because a fight where you fight for 6 seconds and you don't have to move and you can do everything you want will never happen. I put the Hextec active as a dmg/s value due to one fact: It is on a 60 second cooldown. You will not have it every fight. You will not use it every fight since you cannot use it every fight. Simple.
Sure if you have 6 second fights where you are undisturbed every 60 seconds you deal more damage with a hextec gunblade should you be able to trigger your Lich bane only once per fight.
The truth is different.
Fights will occur at random.
Fights will take longer than 6 seconds.
You can trigger your Lich Bane every 4 seconds with blind dart and mushrooms due to your CDR and 2 stored mushrooms.
now here is some math for a real fight.
10 seconds, hextech is off CD, you can get 5 autoattacks, you are able to trigger your lich bane 2 times. you have about 550 AP. (base damage, toxic shot damage, blind dart damage, MR and Armor are ignored)
300 + 5 * 60 = 600 damage
550 * 2 = 1100 damage
So lich bane is a better choice for AP Teemo. You trade life steal, spellvamp and a slow for a significant increase in damage, a higher nuke potential, increased mobility (stand and fight hextec vs hit and run lich bane) and a little magic resist.
There is another problem with the Nuke combo (deathfire, dart, autoattack).
Deathfire always should be your first damage(see Deathfire & Malady above). It works so well on Teemo since it has a slightly lower range than blinding dart. That means if you chase somebody you can simply press deathfire click on the enemy, press Q and wait to be in range to get both hits in about 0.2 seconds.
The gunblade has an even smaller range than deathfire which means that you use your deathfire, have to run a little, then you can use your gunblade and then your blind dart. This little running time increases your attack by about 0.4 seconds, with the gunblade itself it takes about 0.7-0,8 seconds to pull of your combo. Thats enough for good players to react to you. (e.g. ashes arrow)
Tons of AP, AD, AS for only 2235g... why not?
Apart from the AP which is really high at full stacks (93) the item brings no benefits compared to a simple [item_text=malady].
0% attackspeed, 45 AP = 6.3 magic damage on toxic shot per tick, 35 physical damage
32% attackspeed, 93AP = 13.02 magic damage on toxic shot per tick, 35 physical damage
50% attackspeed, 25 AP = 3,5 magic damage on toxic shot per tick, 20 extra magic damage on hit, 6 MR reduction on hit
so how long does a fight with 8 autoattacks last level 10?
Rageblade(starting with 0 stacks ending with 8 stacks. however the attackspeed is always one behind which means after the 8th attack will the rageblade be fully stacked and the 9th attack will make use of the max attackspeed):
S [ 1s / (1.018 + 0,68*0.04*x) , x, 0, 7] = 7.20914 seconds
1s / (1.018 + 0,68*0,5) * 8 = 5.89102 seconds
so malady wins in regard of attackspeed but that was quite obvious since the 32% attackspeed from rageblade can never match the 50% of Malady.
We just need the time for the DPS values later on.
now the damage you deal against a generic 100 armor 50 magic resist enemy with the items alone (19 magic pen runes,15% magic pen mastery, no sorcerers shoes, level 10 with 8 hits) in regard of physical damage, and toxic shot damage increase from the AP
MD, PD, TD = Magic, Physical, True/Final/Effective damage
Rageblade without armor and MR:
8 * 35 PD + 8 * 0.14 * 45 + S ( 0,14 * 6 * x , x, 1, 8) = 280 PD + 80.64 MD
with armor and MR:
0.5 * 280PD + (100/(100 + (50 - 19) * ( 1 - 0.15)) * 80.64MD = 140TD + 63,8227 TD = 203.823 TD
Malady with armor and MR:
S[(20 MD + 0,14 MD*25)*(100/(100 + (50 - 19 - 6 * x)*0.85)),x,1,4]+4*(20 MD + 0.14 * 25)*(100/(100+(50-19-24)*0.85))
= 171,67 TD
So here come the DPS values for a fight with 8 autoattacks:
203.823 TD / 7.20914 s = 28.2728 TD/s (remember 63% of the damage comes from the physical side)
171,67 TD / 5.89102 s = 29.1421 TD/s
this pretty much sums it up. Malady gives you a better DPS value than Rageblade in a fight that actually lasts long enough and you have the opportunity to stack the rageblade to 8 stacks. These fights almost never occur which means you won't be able to attack as often to deal the majority of the rageblade damage. With the Malady you need to hit only 4 times which is easier due to the higher attackspeed to make it fully efficient but you don't need to do that either since the malady is fully functional all the time.
When it comes to farming the Malady again triumphs. You can two-shot minions with both items but the malady gives you higher attackspeed so you can do it faster. The only difference are cannon and super minions but going for rageblade just because you can 4-shot cannon minions instead of 5-shot with malady doesn't mean you have to buy an item ;-P
Oh did I mention rageblade costs 390g extra and would set your Rod of Ages back even more? That also means Malady is more gold efficient than Rageblade.
Hybrid, DPS, on-hit builds overview
the following build is viable in high ELO play though its quite boring to use
(thats the one Rainman uses)
Runes, Summoner abilites, Masteries:
Greater Mark of Desolation x 9
Greater Seal of Vitality x 9
Greater Glyph of Warding x 9
Greater Quintessence of Fortitude x 3 or Greater Quintessence of Potency
with both 10% penetration masteries and veterans scars, no crit chance or damage
Items: (based on rainmans guide)
Doran's Blade (up to 3 of them) if you get early jungle pressure
Boots of Speed and Health Potion against matchups that are likely to outplay you or that require mobility
Cloth Armor and Health Potion against physical harass like GP or Panth
Phage (if you get it early enough you can skip the Doran's Blades)
Viable in high ELO play. quite boring to use unless you like to right click a lot. spells provide little more than utility, toxic shot and move quick leveled first since blind dart is only used for utility. mushrooms for supporting wards, slowing enemies and securing the lane. basically turns teemo in a hybrid damage tanky dps. used for split pushing and lane control. Victory through strategy and actively avoiding teamfights.
I still have to run into any trouble facing a Teemo using this build against my Teemo =(
the following builds are for fun. AD/AS Teemo is not viable. Hybrid is not great. AP is the way to go but if you are looking for quick fun in a practice game or if your team is really strong anyway you can try one of these:
Runes, Summoner abilities, Masteries:
Greater Mark of Insight x 9
Greater Seal of Clarity x 9
Greater Glyph of Shielding x 9
Greater Quintessence of Fortitude x 3
(survivability, manaregen, magic pen... all you need)
13/16/1 with improved exhaust and ghost, 0.6 ap/lvl, 15% magic pen, 6 armor pen, 60 HP, 2% dodge
you will run out of mana if the fight takes too long but it should provide enough survivability to autoattack at least for a little while dealing lots of damage. Your abilities also will provide more than just utility and a little bit of damage.
DPS(physical damage per second):
Runes, Summoner abilites, Masteries:
Greater Mark of Desolation x 9
Greater Seal of Evasion x 9
Greater Glyph of Shielding x 9
Greater Quintessence of Fortitude x 3
21/8/1 6 armor pen, 2% crit chance, 10% crit damage, 5% damage, 2% dodge, improved ghost
The Black Cleaver
pretty basic Mr. Right-click-a-lot build. High attackspeed and damage lets you shine 1v1 but makes you weak to any sort of focus (that's why you need cleanse). Move speed increase gives you good backdoor capabilities. Your abilities will hit for close to no damage and are nothing more than utility.
exchange items if you think you have better ones... It doesn't matter. Its not like you can do much wrong since going Hybrid or DPS on Teemo is wrong on its own.
I really would like to point out that these ways to build Teemo are not the most efficient ones to build Teemo. If you look for a DPS/Hybrid build try this and alter it in any way you want. These are more like low-skill/learning-to-play builds for him.
If you want to build Teemo correctly use the build extensively described in every other section in this guide or the following build.
The Lane Matchups
So you have come so far and now you are wondering: If the enemy picks Champion X should I pick Teemo to counter it? Now here is a list of Champions sorted into categories from Them countering Teemo to Teemo countering them.
Immediate danger to your life, farm and late game: (from impossible to very hard)
Xerath, Yorick, Rengar
Hard to play against: (from very hard to hard)
Malzahar, Ryze, AP Yi, Evelynn, Kassadin, Malphite, Wukong, Zilean, Soraka, Swain
Tricky: (slight edge over you, from hard to not very hard)
Orianna, Rumble, Morgana, Cassiopeia, Katarina, Warwick, Sion, Cho'Gath, Gankplank, Anivia, Diana, Urgot
Balanced: (From not hard to not easy)
Annie, Ahri, Akali, Brand, Nasus, Galio, Jax, Gragas, AP Kog'Maw, Nidalee, Zyra
mediocre counter: (from not easy to easier)
Lux, Jax, Mundo, Kennen, Riven, Irelia, Fiddlesticks, Hecarim, Kayle, AD Kog'Maw, LeBlanc, LeeSin, Maokai, Shyvana, Sona, Viktor
Counter: (From easier to quite easy)
Alistar, Amumu, Ashe, Caitlyn, Draven, Ezreal, Fiora, Garen, Graves, Heimerdinger, Janna, Jayce, Karma, Lulu, AD Yi, Miss Fortune, Mordekaiser, Nautilus, Nocturne, Olaf, Rammus, Renekton, Sejuani, Shaco, Shen, Sivir, Skarner, Talon, Taric, Teemo, Tristana, Trundle, Tryndamere, Varus, Vayne, Veigar, Ziggs
Hard counters: (From very easy to a walk in the park)
Twisted Fate, Jarvan IV, Darius, Singed, Poppy, Blitzcrank, Fizz, Leona, Renekton, Volibear, Xin Zhao, Twitch
there is a list below with champions but its outdated, bad and of little use but I cant get myself to delete itSo these are my experiences with a LOT of 1v1 fights. Some champions I never played against in mid after my hundreds of solo-mid AP-Teemo games are found here:(also incudes champions that are so easy to fight against that further explainations are a waste of time to write and read):
Alistar, Amumu, Blitzcrank, Evelynn, Garen, Irelia, Janna, Jarvan IV, Jax, Kayle, Leona, Malphite, Maokai, Mundo, Master Yi, Nassus, Nocturne, Olaf, Poppy, Rammus, Riven, Shaco, Shen, Shyvana, Singed, Sona, Soraka, Taric, Teemo (once you play him a bit you know his weaknesses), Trundle, Tryndamere, Udyr, Warwick, Xin Zhao
Remember this is no direct 1v1 fight and no teamfight. Its just during the 1v1 lane phase. I base this on very few early-mid game items from Regrowth Pendant and Health Potion up to Philosopher's Stone, basic boots, Lucky pick.
use Ctrl+F to search for a champion you want to know about.
okay here are the ones that really need some thought (or can be found mid more than once ever 100 games).
(Unkillable does NOT mean that he cannot be killed, it means that it is very hard to kill the champion on your own. it does not mean that he can kill you back as well)
Click here to open the list
- her range is massive compared to yours, especially with her ultimate
- focus on farming and fortifying your position
- try to stay away from the minions so she has to use her spellvamped ability to push her lane instaed of healing + harassing
- her farm is bad so you can outfarm her
Akali:(averagely dangerous after lvl 6, not dangerous before)
- can be suppressed easily down to 4 minion kills at lvl 6
- after lvl 6 she can nuke you pretty hard, you need to be fast enough to blind her before she enters her cloud
- keep an eye on her ultimate marks
- Don't be afraid to drop a mushroom right in front of you so she CAN see it (she wont engage/jump you unless she is really high hp % and you are low)
- dodging her stun is not hard without boots and move quick, try to stand next to your minions so she will have to make a decision between nuking and farming minions or trying to kill you
- hiding behind you minions will encourage her to spam her frost ball "Even if I don't hit Teemo I can still hit minions, right?". it increases her chances of hitting you
- after lvl 6 you cannot kill her unless she is OOM without clairity, call for your jungler or other teammates
- once you make her use her egg drop a mushroom on top of it if you can
--> the slow will last one or two seconds after she was reborn unless you place it immediately
- should you try to engage her flash out of her ultimate so it becomes useless and keep hitting her as much as possible preferably while she is exhausted
- try to harass her early to make her back off a little and get her underleveled, every level she gains makes her more dangerous so make sure you suppress her
- even if you can't kill her a few seconds of shrrom placement can save you even when you are low on hp(below 300)
- if she uses flash do it as well, it has the same cooldown for the both of you
- confront her directly early so she is getting scared of you rather than you being scared of her
- never autoattack minions except for last hits
- call for jungler
--> a misplaced tibbers can throw her off balance
- hide behind your minions
- look at her mana bar (150 mana = ult ready)
- shift positions to make her teleport/arrow combo miss while attacking a tower
- her volley can one shot fresh mushrooms
- you cannot blind her first-hit-crit-shot, make her use it on a minion
- when low on HP expect an arrow
- she is easy to rout but can hit you very hard if you don't manage to blind her early enough or you retreat too late
- she can outrange you so be aware of good ashes
- hard to gank due to hawkshot
- his lane dominance is extreme
- try not to get stunned
- try to avoid minions that are ablaze to not get hit by Conflagration even if you are out of cast range yourself
- hide behind minions to avoid Sear
- keep a little distance so pillar of flame has to be cast either on you or on your minions but not both at the same time making it a win-win situation for him
- if you have problems dodging Sear and/or Pillar of flame try getting move quick at lvl 3
- he runs out of mana more quickly than other casters try juking him into wasting Sear
--> he will either burn all his mana or he will stop using Sear at all
- call for junglers since he has no escape moves and is quite gankable
- she can outrange and outharass you
- get toxic shot first to make last hitting easier
--> don't even try harssing her... try to outfarm her
- she has to attack minions to get her passive to 8-6 stacks which means she will push your lane to your side
---> she is easily gankable due to overextending and you can focus on last hitting more
- mushrooms cannot be killed by her skillshot unless they are freshly placed
- run into a trap and you are almost dead from her abilities and autoattacks that follow
- focus on gaining experience and farming
- try to keep your distance
- call for ganks from junglers and side lanes often since it will almost always work
- hide behind minions so her skillshot deals reduced damage and she will push the lane even more
- she has to make the decision to either attack your minions or you
--> stay away from minions to either make her underfarmed or no big threat
- get move quick earlier (level 2) since blind dart is not as important as move quick against her poison
- you might have to go home early (about 750g) to get your boots and philo stone
- she is missing the strong burst but the damage over time should not be underestimated
- if you get poisoned stay away from her
- the higher you level up the more you can do against her
- better play it safe and do not risk too much
- once you reach level 6 the fight should be even
--> mushrooms work very well against her and you can slowly claim mid for yourself
- a direct approach is hard since you do not want to fall prey to her spamming her fangs
- its better to focus on farming than on killing her
- her escape mechanisms are few which makes ganks easy
Cho'Gath:(dangerous and unkillable)
- you won't be able to kill him easily unless he is very stupid or you are very lucky
- high HP regen even makes most ganks unsuccessful due to his generally high current and max HP
- will take a lot of poison hits before he reacts (making you get him lower easily)
- dodging everything is mandatory (good you have a longer range, once you sidestepped his rupture)
- early mushroom hits are not as effective but can lead to you being able to attack him with your autoattack making you deal more damage with that than you mushroom
- very annoying champ to lane against
- blind dart, one toxic shot works well against him
- strong harassment from both opponents usual
- mushrooms cannot intercept rockets
- Corki as low HP so be sure to harass him frequently
Ezreal:(not so dangerous)
- hide behind your minions
- essence flux cannot harass you well enough to make trouble
- easy to harass due to his low HP
- he can kill mushrooms with mystic shot
- he is easily outfarmed
- high lifesteal and much CC can kill you quickly
- drop 2-3 shrooms per bush to scout for him effectively and make him rethink his crowstorm
- when he drains autoattack him so that he cannot heal as effectively and takes damage from your poison after he stopped
(unless he drains you of course)
- use exhaust when he jumps you with his ultimate since it reduces the damage by 35% (along with the possible drain that follows)
- try to engage when he is low on Mana
- he is quite gankable since he can only silence one person unless you are standing next to each other
- prioritize blinding dart over toxic shot even though he is a mage
--> blinding dart outranges his jump whereas your autoattacks don't (don't autoattack unless he jumped you already!!!)
--> with the base damage and AP runes and masteries you should be able to outharass him
- he runs OOM easily if he playful/trickster-jumps often
- place mushrooms in positions where he jumps away to after he jumped on you
- his ult can be easily avoided
- dodging his abilities might become challenging
- naturally high MR and HP
- look out for flash
- if he has MR runes and a few MR items consider going for malady and sorcerers shoes earlier
Gankplank:(not so dangerous)
- his parrley cannot harass as good as toxic shot+dart
- he is melee and can be kept at range with move quick
- in his ult try to run as long as you can with your move quick and flash once you get hit if you have to
- you cannot blind parrrley
- you can outfarm him easily
- he can cleanse your blind so watch out for it if you have to fight
- harass him instead of short engages 1v1 since raise morale and remove scruvy can de-/buff him quite well for a short time
Gragas:(not so dangerous)
- high HP regen
- try to dodge his barrels as often as possible
- cannot be harrassed easily, call for jungler if needed
- you can outfarm him easily
- be careful not to get thrown into his turret by his ultimate
- his autoattack range is only a little larger than yours unlike ashe or tristana who can outrange you pretty well
- quite resistant to junglers due to his dash and the smoke screen
- be careful when fighting near minions so he cannot use his buckshot to farm and to harass early
- don't get too close to avoid 130-160% buckshot damage
- he is susceptible to harass early on but try to trigger buckshot by running back and forth just out of range
- he can overextend a little more than others but he can be ganked easily when he overextends too much
Heimerdinger:(annoying but not dangerous)
- his turrets have high MR so going for malady early is advised
- focusing his turrets first, even with blind dart, might prove helpful since he will remain defenseless
- call for jungler often since it's almost always a free kill
- watch out for your tower, it can go down quickly if its left unattended
- his rockets hit the 3 nearest targets... make sure they are minions (they can't hit mushrooms)
- keep an eye on her Mantra points
- she can use her offensive ability to heal herself
- the lower she gets the more dangerous she becomes due to her passive (AP gained according to HP missing)
-> her shield blocks and deals more dmg and her heavenly wave deals more dmg
-> heavenly wave heals a percentage of her hp thats missing increasing with AP along with the AP increasing with the HP missing
--> even if she is at 200 HP she can still heal and shield herself for about 450 HP (watch her mana bar)
- keep your distance to her minions, she can use her mantra and her shield to deal damage
- he can outrange you
- easily harassable with toxic shot
- you usually cannot harass long enough for both toxic shot and blind dart unless karthus is retreating
- keep running no matter what
- change directions every second or faster
- he can ourfarm you if you allow him
- mushrooms hurt him significantly
- call for jungler if needed since he is very gankable
- you have a higher burst than him, but in fights longer than 1.5 seconds he gains the upper hand
- loss of mana cripples him, try to trigger his lay waste where he cannot kill minions with it, once you know how well he can hit you with his lay waste
- do not harass with blind dart and focus on leveling toxic shot (it does not trigger force pulse)
- place mushrooms once he backs off a little
- easily suppressed by toxic shots
- he won't be able to jump much since he has to use null sphere to last hit
- mushrooms shut him down even if you were really bad before
- he has a strong nuke potential early so play accordingly
--> watch out for force pulse's dark hard-to-see ring to know when its ready
- if force pulse is ready you can harass with blind dart and place mushrooms more openly
- focus on leveling toxic shot over blind dart
- harass her constantly
- use exhaust early to get her low early. it should be back up once you are lvl 6
- flash away from her ultimate if needed
- call for junglers if you have to
- focus on last hitting
- run like hell to dodge his Thundering Shuriken, hide behind minions
- back off often to get rid of his marks (stay in exp. range though)
- mushrooms and flash help a lot against him
- Kennen will kill minions a lot so he will keep the lane pushed against your turret
- often very gankable by junglers
- last hit only
- very squishy opponent will not engage when he is low
- due to his low HP containable
- reposition in fights to dodge his artillery
- his artillery cannot reveal mushrooms and hidden Teemos (even though the icon is above your head)
- use a question mark like pattern to escape him (flash and run in a straight line, turn 90° and run a demi circle to evade his arty and sticky slime ball)
- pretty much shut down when blinded but his range is longer than yours
- be careful with enemy ganks cause if you get stunned he is gonna slimeball you creating extreme CC which is very dangerous
- his range is ridiculous so try to wait for the effect to wear off before you reengage
- remember to count her cooldowns
- always expect her ultimate to be up
- her clone will have NO poison, blind, slow effect on her, aim for the other one
- rapid movement is important
- if you get snared unload your full arsenal on her
- she has very low HP which makes her an excellent target for harassment early
- place mushrooms so she can see them and stand on them to make her rethink her strategy
Lee Sin:(averagely dangerous)
- if he does not hit you with his kick-dash (sonic wave) he cannot harass you very well
- hide behind your minions to avoid it easily
- prioritize Toxic shot since you can harass him pretty well with it
--> you don't need a very long blind since the fights don't take long (more of a melee harass)
- his aoe deals low damage but can reveal mushrooms
- he can kick you through your mushrooms hence destroying them... try to avoid that
- you focus on dodging her snare, don't hide behind minions
- let her waste her AOE on minions, she needs it in combination with her passive to farm
- quick move saves you from a lot of situations
- blind protects you from her passive
- keep in mind that the ult is on a relatively short cooldown ( 70-25 seconds depending on level and CDR. watch out for CDR items like [item_text=Morello's Evil Tome] and Ionian Boots of Lucidity. many go for CDR runes and masteries as well)
- his pet can throw you out of move quick
- stay away from malefic visioned minions
- run back and forth to make him waste his silence
- watch out for flash and ult
- play defensively
- no escape mechanisms and aoe skills that make him push the lane to your side makes him highly gankable
Miss Fortune:(not so dangerous)
- make it rain is easily dodged (run back and forth to trigger it)
- double up has a low CD and it used differently from player to player
--> it will hit you often early but later you will find out how to evade it
- running forward will often make her miss her double up
- flash to the side when she uses her ultimate to blind and AA her (when you are low flash away from her)
Mordekaiser: (averagely dangerous, unkillable)
- one of the (if not the) hardest opponent to kill on your own
- call your allies for ganks before lvl 6
- mace of spades cannot be applied while blinded
- I recommend using 2 toxic shots(for the shield), 1 blind dart(rest of the shield + some dmg) and then as many toxic shots as possible to harass him
- even mushrooms cannot harm him much with full shield + buffed MR
- if someone of your allies ganks him a 0-for-0 situation is better than a 1-for-1 situation
- getting Mordekaiser below half health enables you to harass him to death
(once had a rammus gank morde damaging him for about 55% of his HP. morde still had insane lane staying power but after seven minutes he was low enough for me to strike the killing blow)
- one death really sets morde back to a point where he can become your toy and not your nightmare
- black shield protects her pretty well but it can be broken by 3-4 toxic shots and a following blind dart
- getting snared results in almost unacceptable damage
- try to avoid torment (her dark pool) for the sake of your move quick (and your health bar of course)
- after she used her snare you can hit her without endangering yourself too much
- focus on leveling toxic shot recommended
- flash out of her ultimate and then use move quick to run...
- harass her with blind dart so she has to level her shield before she levels her dark binding and torment
- she can outheal your harassment pretty well
- do not get too close, her cougar form can nuke well and is not canceled 100% by blinding her
- dodge her spear, if you can't there is something wrong with you
- nidalee can pounce over teemo so run into enemy minions and drop a mushroom there
--> minions will pop it and nidalee will run(maybe even take damage, slow), flash back to safety if needed or keep hitting her
- in general don't bother harassing her... the both of you can't kill each other and you are just sitting there farming
(most of the times when I face her it's a mutual agreement that we can't kill each other, I harass a little with toxic, I dodge her spear, she heals herself, pretty boring but you can prepare for the challenges that lie ahead, relax a litte and be happy that you farmed so well that you got you 2k gold at the 9:30 minute mark. now farm some more, dodge her spear some more and get your rod of ages very early)
- she can pretty much dominate everyone in a 1v1 lane and teemo is no exception
- atm i think she is the best solo lane even if she does not play very well
- keep some minions between you and the ball
- you can blind her autoattacks thus stopping her passive
- you can use move quick to get away from her ultimate
- try to shift positions so she cannot hit you with command:protect
- she is low on HP which makes her easily harassable if you have the chance to do so (which is unlikely)
- without mana she is vulnerable and she can go OOM quite easily early
- don't get too close to her so you have a higher chance of dodging her command:attack + command:protect combo
- she is easily ganked but resistant to quick 1v1 engages (due to speed buff/slow and command:protect being good in escaping 1v1 but bad if the enemy approaches from 2 directions)
- your toxic shot applies through his shield
- blind him before you get stunned
- pretty easy to harass (spearshot deals less damage than 1 dart + toxic shot)
- playing defensively still recommended due to his jump / spearshot/ heartseeker /spearshot being unblindable and doing an insane amount of damage (read 80% of your HP)
- exhaust reduces the damage heartseeker strike, jump and spearshot deal so it's a dangerous but legitimate way to start ganks by baiting the enemy to do his combo on you
- easily gankable
- engage when he is low on mana
- be careful with improved revive + fort-potion pantheons
- he gains more HP the more he can hit with cull the meek
- the stun goes up to 1.5 seconds if he has more than 50 fury with large damage, try to avoid it
- keep your distance to your minions he will want to use cull the meek to gain HP as well and champions give him healing worth 4 minions hit
- he is easily harassed early when his HP and HP regeneration are still low
- watch out for his ultimate since it heals him for 300 HP at lvl 6 which makes him appear weaker than he is, the CD is high at low levels though
- mushrooms work pretty well against him
- focus more on leveling Toxic Shot since you cannot blind his abilities (you will be stunned and take the base damage from ruthless predator) and leveling blind dart too high might cause mana problems
- hide behind our minions to avoid his electronic harpoon (twice)
--> you can outrange him while hiding behind your minions
--> he cannot fight back cause he is blocked by minions so he cannot use his Flamethrower effectively
--> he is going to overextend
- he is not very gankable due to his shield/movespeed buff
- try to outfarm him
- blind him when he is overheated
- prioritize Toxic Shot over Blinding Dart
- your poison lasts longer than his shield so even if his shield blocks a HUGE amount of dmg (e.g. flat AP runes) you can still deal damage with only one hit (either before the shield starts or after it stops)
- he scales pretty well so watch his AP from runes
- keep an eye on his heat-bar since his abilities cost 20 each and he can use the harpoon twice for no costs so he takes some time to overheat
- even if you dominate him The Equalizer can restore the balance (aka beware of the ridonculous ult range)
- try to get some distance between you and your minions
- can nuke very hard
- his hp is low so you can harass him pretty well
- runs OOM easily so watch his mana bar (unless he went home early and bought a tear immediately with manaregen runes)
- gankable due to his rune prison being able to snare only one person
- his overload scales with 8% of his max mana so he can deal 20+42 dmg at lvl 1 with a sapphire crystal, it comes with high mana costs though (70)
- make sure you have enough HP before you engage
- his ultimate runs out pretty quickly (6s) so watch out for the sound of it and run back till its over
- he gains spellvamp with his ultimate so expect that he has more hp than it seems
- try to trigger her shield by simply using toxic shots on her
--> use blind dart once the shield is on cooldown (about 18-12 seconds)
- sometimes its best to stack 2 mushrooms on top of each other, one for the shield one for sivir
--> place the first mushroom secretly and the second openly so she thinks there is only one
--> she uses her shield to farm mana from mushrooms and gets a slow and damage as well
- if she runs to a mushroom to farm it for mana try to blind her so she takes damage anyway
- dodging her boomerang blade should not be hard when you keep your distance
Swain:(not so dangerous--> dangerous)
- dodging his snare should not be a big problem (with basic boots and move quick you can pass the entire area before it triggers)
- engage quickly and violently
- should you fall prey to his combo unload all your damage and keep hitting him, you will take a lot of damage but you can even the fight by dealing the same amount of damage or even more
--> it is more likely that you can make him retreat than you being able to outrun his slow (not when he has his ult though)
- after he healed with his ultimate is the best time to engage since he cannot ult until 7 seconds later
- hard to kill after lvl 6 due to his ultimate
- ganks are very effective against him since he can only ult your ganker and you can attack him out of his ult range not healing him (try to catch him when no allied minions are around)
- ask an ally with ignite (or MF, Trist or Kat if you have one of those) to come help fight against him if needed
- his burst can get you low quickly
- keep harassing him with toxic shots to make him not attack you
- if you blind him you can fight him
- you can outrange his blades with normal autoattacks
- his low hp makes him very fragile when harassed
- her jump, buster shot combo can be countered by standing on top of mushrooms
- blind her as often as possible (do not max blinding dart too high early)
- in fights (usually very violent ones) against tristana you can become very low, she can jump, ult, ignite + explosive-shot-active you for about 80% of your HP
--> after that she falls prey to teemos combo: blind(should be applied while she is in the air), 1 toxic shot, put mushroom below her feet, 1-2 autoattacks, exhaust when blind is expired, keep auto attacking, shortly before exhaust expires flash away if needed, run back in blind her followed by as many toxic shots as possible
you will get trist either very low(35% of all times), kill her(50%) or you can die (15%) ... all this takes about 6-7 seconds
- minions play an important role in both harassing and engagements due to explosive shot and the case stated above
Twisted Fate:(not dangerous, very dangerous for your team)
- even if you zone and deny him (which is very easy) he can simply go gank your entire team even if he is underleveled and outfarmed
- you cannot blind gold card make him waste it on minions
- when he ult he has a LARGE true vision on you which means he will see all the mushrooms next to you (can be good, can be bad)
- if you have enough hp left (about 650-700) one mushroom stored, enough mana (350+), exhaust ready and TF is teleporting in drop a mushroom on his destination and hold exhaust ready, once tf teleports in he will stun, wildcard and ignite you
---> exhaust on sight, the mushroom will explode as soon as its ready, once you got out of the stun, blind and autoattack him
---> that leaves you with about 250-300 hp but the enemy TF will be below half HP making him gankable and afraid of the mushroom field he just saw as he teleported in
- he can be harassed easily but watch out for his wildcards and his stacked deck
- keep your distance unless you want to deal damage to him
- keep an eye on his stacked deck, usually he wants to use red/gold card on you or blue card to regain mana
Twich:(absolutely not dangerous)
- you can blind his autoattack and his ultimate
- he is pretty vulnerable so a few shots with toxic shot after you blinded him might lead to a kill even if you didn't plan on killing him
- simple harassment can kill him
- mushrooms can be used to roughly reveal his position
- pretend to be vulnerable and run so twitch hits a mushroom, use blind and a few toxic shots and he should be dead or severely injured
- you have to dodge his lock-on spell or he will eat you due to your squishy nature
--> his range is ridiculous once he's got a lock-on (like ridiculous across a screen)
- wait until you are lvl 6 to engage him
- place mushrooms in front of you so he is not tempted to use his ultimate
- try to stand on your mushrooms should he decide to ult you
- should you have problems call for your jungler
- the higher you level the more dangerous you become
- get move quick early (level 2-3)
- try too keep your distance once you got one stack of silver bolts to not give her the chance to tumble and attack you again
- her passive allows her to chase you effectively so you need to keep flash ready to outdistance her passive if you have to
- her low HP early makes her easily harassable
- try to get shot away from her turret
- keep your distance from the walls to not get stunned
- blind is quite effective against her especially since you can blind silver bolts
- she can engage you very fast but you can chase her more effectively since her passive does not work if she has her back turned to you
- not very gankable due to tumble being a great escape skill
- try not to hit the event horizon but stay in the middle of it and keep hitting him
- try to flash away before he can use his ultimate
- it sometimes is better to get hit by baleful strike than to give him AP early game (B-Strike lvl 1-3, champ level 5)
- do not get too low and when harassing him
- event horizon can initiate ganks pretty well so keep your flash ready to flash out of it
Vladimir:(not dangerous --> quite dangerous, unkillable)
- you should be able to kill him until he hits lvl 7
- after that you need your teammates to hunt him
- at early levels make him use his transfusion on yourself so he doesn't get minion kills while he has to channel long enough for you to use blind dart + 1 toxic shot
--> he will not deal much damage, heal himself for only 30 while you can hit him with 2-3 toxic shots getting him very low and all that with a very high cooldown
- unkillable after lvl 9 since he will outheal everything
- should vlad be above lvl 9 and at half HP you have about 7 seconds to assemble a gank force and 5 seconds to strike (WW is very good at this)
- harass him early with toxic shot to make him less likely to jump you
- keep a low level in blinding dart since most of his damage is in his abilities
- hit him with blind dart before he jumps to you
- place obvious mushrooms and stand on them to gain the upper hand should he decide to jump you
- should he buy a ward to kill your mushrooms it is definitely worth it to buy one yourself to determine if he is using his clone or if he is just faking it
- keep your exhaust ready for his ultimate
- his early game mana consumption makes him easily harassable
- get move quick early to easily dodge his attacks
- once he reaches lvl 6 he can fight you quite effectively
- when he returns to lane (probably with a heavy mana/manaregen item) he is dangerous
- he can be ganked quite effectively especially from CC mages (like morgy, lux, veigar, fiddle etc.)
--> should you have problems call for your jungler
- do not hide behind your minions so he cannot use his q to farm and harass at the same time
- he can get overextended easily due to his aoe-push characteristics
- he can use his ghouls to destroy mushrooms so try to place them secretly and in unusual locations
- he runs OOM quickly
- he needs his life steal ghoul to regain HP
--> you can kill the ghoul or - if you have a lot of spare mana - blind it
- he use his Q on minions to increase his move speed by 15% so keep your distance that he cannot catch up with you
- prioritize toxic shot over blind dart since you don't really need to blind him
- you can outfarm him easily with toxic shots and harassment early
- he can push very hard with his ghouls
- he is susceptible to ganks, call for junglers or roamers
- his bombs deal an extreme amount of damage compared to your HP
- wait until he wasted one of his bombs and then engage(you can take one bomb as long as you deal even more dmg to him)
- drop a mushroom right under him or one of his allies while they are being resurrected
- one blind dart alone an make him back off from any fight granted he is not stacking HP
- toxic shot can harass him pretty well
- the higher he gets the more dangerous he is
- slowly claim mid with mushrooms
- bomb aoe keeps the lane pushed to your side if you last hit only which makes him overextend and gankable
- don't stand near almost dead minions cause a good player can place bombs that detonate immediately that way
Dual Lane tactics
So you have played a few games dominated mid over and over again and you want to do it again.
You call "Teemo top" in champ select don't log in and wait for the 80s to be over. The Ashe switches to Darius in the last 2 seconds.
The game starts.
You buy your boots & H-potions and check if you really selected the right rune page. You run down top.
1E37h4X0R(Darius): im top biatches!
Boscogn(Teemo): i called top in champ select
1E37h4X0R(Darius): lol teemo top
1E37h4X0R(Darius): go home scrub! im a better dps than you
Boscogn(Teemo): you didnt even buy any items
1E37h4X0R(Darius): i need the gold for mah early bf sword
IdrinkMilk(Nocturne): let Teemo top... he called it in champ select
Boscogn(Teemo): yeh come on
Boscogn(Teemo): dont be an idiot
1E37h4X0R(Ashe): /ignore team
there is no way you're going to get you lane from people like that. they rather go 2v1 than playing the game. Even if you have 3 friends with you supporting the awesome teemo... forget about it.
If someone insists on your lane you might be able to convince them or take a different role (Top taken --> go mid and vice versa).
so you end up in bottom lane. what do you do?
Get Toxic Shot first. it deals half of your blind dart as damage and considering you need about 2 minion waves + 1 minion to reach lvl 2 you can deal a lot more dmg with it, farm better and conserve mana.
Two stun combo enemies(and other heavy CC):
the most prominent combo is Taric-Caitlyn here. Others are Blitzcrank or Alistar(not banned wtf?) with any AD etc.
These is the most dangerous combo you can face in a 2v2 side lane (not to mention 2v1 top).
You need to last hit only and you wont be able to do much (500 units range) till lvl 6 and you can place a mushroom in the bush to scout.
Focus on leveling your Toxic Shot first and get move quick early.
Sometimes you need to let them waste their stuns on you by running forward and the Move Quick back into your turret.
The biggest problem of heavy CC is that it is extremely mana consuming especially early in the game.
You need to shroom the bushes heavily. 3 per side bush and 1 in river bush should be enough(risk to be ganked very low cause you can't really leave the turret.)
Watch out for Clarity and Ignite.
Good thing is that if you last hit only can can keep up in exp and minion kills while making them overextended.
Your Teammate Mr. Coward:
This is frustrating but not that bad. He will towerhug and is too afraid to engage. He will start fighting once you reached lvl 6 and started to shroom a bit so he can be safe. Sometimes a "if you tank them I can kill Zilean" helps.
Shroom balanced but place a few more shrooms near your turret. 2 per side bush and 2 for river bush and the area around it (risk to be ganked relatively low).
Sure a shen with 1200 HP running from a 900 Hp Ezreal is weird to look at but at least he is not pushing like...
Your Teammate Mr. Irrational:
Those are the guys you hate. They run from a balanced fight just to jump back in once the battle is over. They will push like a mad idiot autoattacking everything they see without getting the last hits... sometimes with aoe spells.
You need to stay in the bushes and simply last hit everything you can. When there is a short break during the fight try to tell your ally what to do and why to do it.
They don't play bad because they want to play bad. They play bad because they don't know better.
Try to go home early (once you got your Move Quick or about 800g) to buy the philo-stone and a vision ward (the green one for 75g) maybe even boots as well. Place the ward in the river next to your lane and prevent ganks in your overextended lane. Also tell your lane partner to buy a ward once he has to go home.
Remember to be encouraging because criticism is just going to be ignored at times "Mundo feeds who he pleases!".
Shrooming gank and escape paths is more important than shrooming the bushes. Only 1 per side bush but 2-4 in the river bush and the surrounding area (risk to be ganked high due to overextension).
The shared lane (Experience):
The gold you lose (from being denied) can set you back massively. You really need to focus on farming and ignore the enemy sometimes. If you miss a minion kill to shoot at the enemy a little you have to watch that you did enough damage for it to be worth it. Coordinate with your lane partner so that no experience and no gold is wasted by recalling at the same time (sometimes your jungler can come and take over for a bit).
Due to your superior speed ganking mid is also an option to get gold and experience (or simply relieving mid so he/she can go shop and heal).
If you manage to place some shrooms in other lanes chances are good that you get free assists/kills across the map cause if Teemo is bottom who expects a shroom at top.
Still... don't use mushrooms to farm till they are at lvl 2.
Your lane is shroomed but teamfights happen in mid?:
Tell your solo carry to take over your lane as a solo. You and someone else from your team go mid and you start fortifying it. You can hold mid while your carry gets some more farm and exp while being relatively safe and he might be able to push your lane and kill the turret.
Even if you have 10 shrooms at bot which are never going to explode doesn't mean they are wasted shrooms. They provided vision and an invisible zone of control so you could do your part in your lane.
Map awareness is not only knowing where everybody is but also knowing that nobody is at a certain location.
You died... what now?:
So you are 2 levels behind and you are still squishy and cant do much. You are under a constant threat of being towerdived.
What you need to do is focus on shrooming every passage an enemy can attack you. Even shroom behind your turret in the small bushes, nearby creep camps, enemy escape routes.
You are now allowed to use shrooms on minions if you have a decent amount of shrooms near the turret (5-6). Not to kill them for gold but to kill them so the enemy cannot get too close. Call for someone stronger (like mid, jungler, one guy from the other side lane). carefully claim your lane with mushrooms.
Watch for your mana bar (shrooms cost a lot of mana). There is nothing more frustrating than someone from your team ganking the enemy you run foward with move quick and you stand there without enough mana for blind dart.
In towerdive situations use blind dart one one guy and exhaust on the other. It should give you a few seconds of tower dmg.
Farming and Jungleing
It is easier to last hit with toxic shot so don't forget to level it up. Do not attack minions rapidly ever so you don't overextend thus preventing ganks from the enemy.
Do not use mushrooms early to farm, ever. They are too valuable and cannot kill caster minions at level 1 leaving them with about 60 HP. Later (after lvl 11) they can be used to farm creep waves effectively (still wasted if you don't farm enough minions with one and do not let your shrooms be killed by minions before they can explode).
You can get the blue buff but it's not necessary (unless you want to create a shroom protection field for your team before you go baron mid game without CDR). There are other allies that need it more than you do.
Lizard is always welcome but not that important. You mainly get buffs by careless junglers that eat 2 mushrooms, retreat into another mushroom while you nuke them to death. The slow from redbuff is nice though.
Teemo can jungle but he is a very bad jungler.
Working in the team
You are not the first to enter the fight but you can act as a good bait at times.
If you have a good initiator you can pick off the enemy carries easily. Move Quicks active also allows you to run into a fight and drop one quick mushroom under one of your allies. Most people do not have the overview to see whats going on and the mushroom will explode turning more than one teamfight to your favor.
You can also create an escape route with one or two mushrooms and save your buddies from big bad autoattacks.
If you play him well enough you can kill almost any enemy you face on the battlefield. You have good damage output without mushrooms and are a nightmare for enemy dps squishy carries. You have free wards that deal AOE damage and a blind that shows you why Teemo is one of the best anti-carries in the game.
Take your time to practice.
Have a nice game
I update this guide almost daily. Few sentences here and there. I will only list the major changes or changes each patch caused in this section.
2012-10-2: Massive Update including all the recent Teemo changes, reworked items and masteries
- no Teemo changes
- added Ahri in advanced solo tactics
- added [item_text=kage's lucky pick] after Boots of Speed and before Mejai's Soulstealer
- mastery overhaul
- changed quints to flat AP
- updating some sections
- new pictures
- added cooldown timer for mushrooms (FINALLY!!!!!!been waiting for this since remake)
- exhaust go nerfed big time from 3.5s to 2.5s, thinking about surge/ghost/cleanse to replace it
- flash nerfed by 10% and cd increased, still viable choice because its an instant repositioning tool
- remade masteries added (not finalized yet)
- manaregen/lvl runes changed for hp/lvl due to the flat-mana buff in utility
- did not add Shyvana in advanced solo tactics (might change later when ppl start to be really good with her but for now she cant deal enough ranged damage to counter you. i know she is great vs melee champions)
- added Wukong in advanced solo tactics
- no changes on Teemo
- no major changes on all the other champions
v184.108.40.206 - v220.127.116.11
- added Xerath in advanced solo tactics
- added Graves in sdvanced solo tactics
- no teemo changes
- changed skill order early to skill one point in move quick at lvl 2-3 instead of lvl 5
- no changes on Teemo
- renamed advanced solo-mid tactics to advanced solo tactics list (since solo top plays almost the same)
- nidalee now harassable in lane but more dangerous due to spear toss cd and mana cost reduction
- added Talon in advanced solo tactics list
- active mushrooms now level up on skill level increase (YAY finally)
- other than that no changes on Teemo
- nice late game buff to Teemo by making Move quick proc Lich Bane
- Silver Bolts (Vayne) can now be blinded: adjusted in advanced solo-mid tactics
- Phosphorus Bomb no longer blinds: adjusted in advanced solo-mid tactics
- Rabadon's deathcap nerfed by 19.5 AP, not that noticeable that late in the game
- a bit of a rework in almost all sections to improve readability
- replaced the game example with role rotation principle
- philo stone nerf hits teemo a little but no too hard (adjusted in item and build analysis)
- shrooms interacting with spells got removed (sadly) killing one of the most fun parts of Teemo
(good thing he still has 999,999 left =D )
- added Orianna in advanced solo-mid tactics (did it before but I couldn't update my guide due to a bug in leaguecraft)
- added Yorick in advanced solo-mid tactics (thx 2 epinion)
v18.104.22.168 & b
- buff on rod of ages
- no changes on Teemo
- added Vayne in advanced solo-mid tactics
- ninja-nerf on Teemo due to Tenacity including blinds now
- added rylai's vs ROA in item and build analysis
- no changes on Teemo
- added Rumble to advanced solo-mid tactics
- reworked Gankplank in advanced solo-mid tactics--> changed to work in progress
- updated Brand in advanced solo-mid tactics
- quite serious nerf to Teemo early game but after 500 AP your shrooms do more dmg at lvl 3 (or 250 AP at lvl 1)
- mushroom CD increased by 3.05 with 39% CDR (DFG + 20 stacks Mejai's) or 4.55s with only 9% (masteries only)
- move quick active nerf hits only longer chases (+8.19s with 9% and +5.49 with 39% CDR)
- Kog'Maw mushroom-pop-bug removed (finally... this took for ever)--> adjusted in advanced solo-mid tactics
- added Lee Sin to advanced solo-mid tactics
- added Brand to advanced solo-mid tactics
- Buff to Teemo due to banshees nerf
- no changes on Teemo directly
- no changes on Teemo
- important minor update
- changed glyphs from magic pen to MR/lvl
- no changes on Teemo
- changed Ryze to work-in-progress due to the rework
- big update:
- added "Side Lane tactics"
- added "What you need to know"
- added Soulstealer in Item and Build analysis
- added the Hybrid and dps builds for Teemo not because they are good or worth mentioning but to make this guide a complete Teemo guide and not just AP Teemo.
- changed the values for manaregen seals and masteries
- changed move quick
- have to add karma in the solo-mid tactics still but I have to fight as/against her before I do that
- rabadons deathcap price increased by another 200 but that should not be noticeable that late in the game(2000g after the large rod)
- added that Dragon cannot be blinded
- no changes for Teemo and no changes in the build (deathcap extra 100g but thats 4 caster minions)
- dragon is harder to solo after you got your malady (almost impossible before)
- replaced Zhonya's Ring with Rabadon's Deathcap
- exhaust now also works on casters but works less effective against DPS. still I'd say its the recommended Summoner ability
- added Caitlyn in the solo-mid tactics
- reworked exhaust
- no changes on Teemo but it can be seen as a slight buff
---> banshees veil got nerfed but is still strong and still counters you well
- wards do not last as long which means that scouting with mushrooms is even more important
- flash not popping projectiles anymore has a very minor influence on AP Teemos playstyle
- items in this guide are not affected
- added Cassiopeia in advanced solo-mid tactics list
Submitted by AnjouShin
Newest Guides for Teemo
Top Guides for Teemo
New Skins for Teemo
Top Skins for Teemo